* Fireworks erupted over the National Mall in Washington, DC, hours after Trump delivered a rousing speech
* This year’s DC display was promised to be one of the largest ever held in the region, featuring $2million-worth of pyrotechnics donated by Ohio-based Phantom Fireworks and New York-based Fireworks by Grucci
* Phantom CEO Bruce Zoldan spoke had a private meeting with Trump about Chinese tariffs just weeks before the company donated $750,000-worth of fireworks for the president’s Independence Day extravaganza
* The East Coast was first to send up flares as the Macy’s Fireworks Spectacular kicked off in New York City
* Thousands of people lined the banks of the East River to admire the shimmering sparks
* The theme for this year’s display in New York is American cinema, so the lights were accompanied by a medley of scores from US classics including Star Wars and The Wizard of Oz
Cities across the country are capping off Fourth of July celebrations with fireworks as President Trump’s Salute to America event leads the way with a stunning display.
In Washington, DC, fireworks erupted over the National Mall and illuminated the Lincoln Memorial, where Trump delivered a rousing speech hours earlier.
This year’s display was promised to be one of the largest ever held in the region, featuring $2million-worth of pyrotechnics donated by Ohio-based Phantom Fireworks and New York-based Fireworks by Grucci.
Phantom CEO Bruce Zoldan spoke had a private meeting with Trump about Chinese tariffs just weeks before the company donated $750,000-worth of fireworks for the president’s Independence Day extravaganza, according to WTOP.
Read more ….
Front line Stalemate: Syrian govt loses hundreds of troops.
Destruction of Syrian refugees’ shelters in Lebanon condemned.
Gibraltar detains oil tanker headed for Syria.
Iranian official threatens to seize British oil tanker.
Car bomb blast kills three in Turkey’s Reyhanli near Syria.
Turkish President Erdogan says solution possible for Muslims interned in Chinese camps.
Iraq’s Babylon listed as World Heritage Site by UNESCO.
US races for Taliban deal but Afghan peace further away.
China Muslims: Xinjiang schools used to separate children from families.
A decade after Xinjiang riots, ethnic tensions persist.
China may offer reduced tariffs to push through mega regional trade pact.
‘State-in-waiting’: Papua’s rebels unite against Indonesia rule.
Philippines faces call for UN inquiry into war-on-drugs killings.
Sri Lanka court suspends executions until October 30.
More than 80 feared dead after migrant boat sinks off Tunisia.
Congo army evicts illegal miners from Glencore project, sparks protests.
1,000 dead in three-month fight for Libya’s Tripoli.
Putin blames NATO for Libya’s bombing and destruction, says Russia not obligated to make any effort.
Thousands defy police cordon to protest against Algeria’s interim government.
Tunisia bans face veils in public institutions after bombing.
Zimbabwe experiences worst power outages in three years.
Botswana govt to appeal court ruling scrapping anti-gay laws.
Resurgent centre-right party poised for victory in Greek election.
Putin says he’s ready to start talks with US on arms control.
Pope Francis, Vladimir Putin meeting ‘cordial,’ Vatican says.
Philip Hammond: MPs will and should stop no-deal Brexit.
Poland, Germany contradict Macron on EU Balkan enlargement.
Italy defiant as two migrant rescue ships try to dock.
Trump praises armed forces, avoids politics in military-style Fourth of July display.
Trump considering executive order on citizenship question for Census.
Biden: I was not prepared for Harris to come at me the way she did on busing.
Donald Trump and Xi Jinping discussed detained Canadians at G20, Justin Trudeau says.
U.N. report: Venezuela regime has killed, threatened opponents.
Ex-Venezuela spy chief says Maduro ordered illegal arrests.
Ex-Rio governor: Paid $2M for votes to win 2016 Olympics.
Alaska heat wave shatters temperature record in largest city Anchorage.
Pakistan Army accuses India of ‘state-sponsored terrorism’.
South Korean man under investigation for links to Islamic State.
Tutankhamun bust auctioned for $6m in UK despite Egypt’s outcry.