Daily Mail: Trump CAVES on China tariffs and puts off levies on laptops, cell phones and toys until after Christmas shopping season following ‘very good call’ with Beijing – in move set to boost faltering stock market
* The Trump administration announced Tuesday morning that is delaying tariffs on Chinese-manufactured goods like laptops and cell phones until Dec. 15
* Trump’s trade office says that certain products ‘will not face additional tariffs of 10 percent’ due to health, safety or national security concerns
* Some of the products it listed were cell phones, laptop computers, video game consoles, computer monitors, footwear and clothing
* USTR said it will post a list of items that are being excluded on its website
* It announced the postponement shortly after the the stock market opened, and the Dow jumped nearly 500 points within minutes of the news
* Donald Trump has not commented directly but hinted n a tweet that the action was intended to get China to move forward with large agricultural orders
The Trump administration announced Tuesday morning that is delaying tariffs on Chinese-manufactured goods like laptops and cell phones until Dec. 15, when price hikes from the penalties won’t drive up the price of popular Christmas presents.
Trump’s trade office says that certain products ‘will not face additional tariffs of 10 percent’ due to health, safety or national security concerns.
However, the categories of goods that are being protected suggest that Trump was concerned about the consumer pricing index and the billions of dollars in value of this month’s stock losses.
Read more ….
WNU Editor: The markets are euphoric with this announcement. As to what is my take. This is just a lull in a trade-war that is going to go on for a very long time.
Trump backs off China tariff plan with delays for cellphones, laptops — Reuters
US delays tariffs on some Chinese goods, drops others — AP
Signs of hope in trade war as US delays new tariffs on Chinese electronics — AFP
US delays China tariffs for some items including cellphones, removing other products from list — CNBC
Trump delays tariffs on key Chinese goods — The Hill
US to delay some tariffs Trump planned on China set for September 1 — SCMP
Trump delays some tariffs on Chinese imports — BBC
US delays tariffs on key Chinese goods, prompting market surge — DW