Daily Mail: Police fire tear gas and water cannon at protesters as France is paralysed by worst nationwide strike for decades: Sixty-five arrested in Paris as schools shut, public transport stops and Eiffel Tower closes in protest at Macron’s pension reforms
* Protesters in Nantes threw projectiles at police who responded with tear gas
* Thousands marched in several cities ahead of two major demonstrations in Paris
* Some 65 people arrested in Paris as hooded youths set fits and looted stores
* Around 90 per cent of high-speed TGV trains cancelled and 30 per cent flights
* Major protest seen in Paris, Marseille, Montpellier and Saint-Denis de la Reunion
* Police expect roughly 250 protests across France in strike which could last days
French police with armed with water cannon and tear gas were on the streets of Paris this afternoon as the country was brought to an abrupt standstill in its worst nationwide strike for decades.
Authorities in Paris barricaded the presidential palace and deployed some 6,000 police as activists, many in yellow vests, gathered for a major march aimed at forcing President Emmanuel Macron to abandon his pension reform plans.
Officers were forced to use tear gas to disperse rioters who set fire to a vehicle and smashed windows as tensions heightened close to the Place de la Republique square.
A construction trailer was overturned and set on fire, sending a huge plume of smoke into the sky, as hooded youths lit fires and looted high-end businesses, reports said.
Read more ….
Paris police arrest scores amid strike over pension reform — AP
Thousands march in Paris to protest French government’s pension reform plan — France 24
Strike snarls France in showdown over pension reforms — France 24
French police fire tear gas at strikers challenging Macron reform — Reuters
Macron pension reform: France paralysed by biggest strike in years — BBC
More than 800,000 people march against Macron as strikes grip France — The Guardian
France: Police and protesters clash in massive strike over Macron’s pension reform — DW
Paris strikes biggest in decades as workers walk out, stopping trains, planes and closing schools — ABC News Online
National Strike In France Shuts Down Cities Over Macron’s Pension Reform Plans — NPR
National strike against pension reform cripples services in France — UPI