Daily Mail: ‘Do you solemnly swear you will do impartial justice, according to the Constitution and laws, so help you God?’ Chief Justice John Roberts and the 100 senators are sworn as jurors in to put Donald Trump on trial
* Donald Trump’s trial began at 12.05 pm on Thursday January 16; he is accused of abuse of power and obstruction of Congress
* The House Democratic impeachment managers arrived in the Senate chamber Thursday to formally read the articles of impeachment against President Trump
* The Senate Sergeant at Arms Michael Stenger proclaimed: ‘Hear ye, hear ye, hear ye, all persons are commanded to keep silent, on pain of imprisonment’
* Then Adam Schiff, the lead Democratic impeachment manager began to read the resolution from Congress which impeaches ‘Donald John Trump.’ The Senate was silent as Schiff stood in the well of the chamber
* Just after 2pm, John Roberts, the Chief Justice, entered the chamber, and was sworn in by Chuck Grassley, the president pro-tempore
* Roberts then invited senators to stand and take the oath themselves; after that each signed the Book of Oaths, recording their commitment to ‘impartial justice’
* The hearing adjourned until Tuesday at 2p.m.; in the meantime the Democratic prosecution and Donald Trump’s defense will deliver documents to the Senate making their case
* The Senate trial will begin in earnest on Tuesday when senators debate the rules of the trial. That is the same day the president is due to deliver a speech at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland
* The earliest possible conclusion to it would be on Saturday January 25
Donald Trump’s impeachment trial began Thursday in high ceremony and amid vicious political division – as outside the Senate a series of new bombshells exploded in the Ukraine scandal.
At 2.10pm, John Roberts, the Chief Justice of the United States, was sworn in.
Chuck Grassley, the president pro-tempore administered the oath, saying: ‘Do you solemnly swear that in all things appertaining to the trial of the impeachment of Donald John Trump, President of the United States, now pending, you will do impartial justice, according to the Constitution and laws, so help you God?’
Read more ….
WNU Editor: The Democrats are hoping to duplicate what they did in the House in the Senate. The problem is that even though they controlled what witnesses could show up and the testimony that was provided in the House, it still bombed with President Trump’s approval rating going up. Can they change this outcome in the Senate even though they do not control it? I doubt it. The only thing that is going to come out of this Senate trial is President Trump being acquitted with all Republicans backing the President, and the Democrats crying the process was unfair and the outcome was partisan. Memo to the Democrats. The process was already partisan, and no one likes a crybaby. But as an outside looking in I will admit this …. this impeachment is going to be great theatre, and we are going to see many American politicians and media pundits going nuts.
The Latest: Pelosi says Trump has options for State of Union — AP
Trump’s impeachment trial underway with reading of charges — AP
Trump impeachment trial opens; White House faulted on Ukraine aid freeze — Reuters
Historic Trump impeachment trial begins in Senate — AFP
Senate opens Trump impeachment trial — The Hill
Impeachment trial will kick off with battle over witnesses — Politico
Chief Justice Roberts swears in Senators for Trump impeachment trial — The Hill
John Roberts likely to play modest role in impeachment trial — AP
Collins says she’s ‘likely’ to support calling witnesses for impeachment trial — The Hill
Trump impeachment: What happens next? — Reuters