* Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute for Allergy and Infectious Diseases, testified that the U.S. could start seeing up to 100,000 infections each day
* There are currently about 40,000 infections each day
* But he warned Americans weren’t practicing sufficient social distancing
* U.S. infection rates have spiked even as other nations saw theirs go down
* ‘I think it’s important to tell you and the American public that I’m very concerned because it could get very bad,’ he testified Tuesday
* COVID-19 cases across the US increased by 46 percent in the week ending June 28, compared to the previous seven days, with the majority of rises in the West and South
* Sen. Lamar Alexander of Tennessee, the HELP Committee chairman, urged the president to wear a mask as an example
* Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders quizzed health experts on the idea of having the government distribute masks to every U.S. household
* Dr. Tony Fauci responded there was ‘no doubt that wearing masks protects you and gets you to be protected’
* Fauci and other experts testified before the Senate committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions
Infectious disease expert Dr. Anthony Fauci issued a dire prediction about U.S. coronavirus infection rates Tuesday – saying as many as 100,000 Americans could become infected each day if the nation doesn’t make urgent behavioral changes.
Fauci made the bleak prediction as new coronavirus cases surged 46 per cent amid new outbreaks in the south and west.
Diagnoses almost doubled last week with 31 states reporting an uptick in cases – as Arizona became the latest hot spot to reverse its reopening by closing bars and gyms.
COVID-19 cases across the US increased by 46 percent in the week ending June 28, compared to the previous seven days, with the majority of rises in the West and South of the country.
Nationally, new cases have consistently spiked every week for four straight weeks. Daily cases have been increasing to record highs of 40,000 in the past week – well above the initial surge of infections that were seen back in mid-April.
Read more ….
WNU Editor: There was nothing positive in his testimony today.
Fauci: US ‘going in wrong direction’ in coronavirus outbreak — AP
Fauci says no guarantee U.S. will have effective COVID-19 vaccine, warns spread ‘could get very bad’ — Reuters
Dr. Anthony Fauci says U.S. coronavirus outbreak is ‘going to be very disturbing,’ could top 100,000 new cases a day — CNBC
Fauci warns Congress that new US coronavirus cases could rise to 100,000 a day — CNN
Fauci: ‘Too early to say’ what caused coronavirus cases to surge in parts of US — FOX News
Fauci warns U.S. could see 100,000 new coronavirus cases per day — Axios
U.S. coronavirus cases rise by 47,000, biggest one-day spike of pandemic — Reuters