Daily Mail: Donald Trump raises tensions with Beijing by issuing executive orders to BAN TikTok and WeChat in 45 days – amid warning Apple and Microsoft could be outlawed in retaliation as world markets fall
* Trump on Thursday signed an executive order giving a 45-day deadline for deal
* After that time, transactions with TikTok parent ByteDance will be forbidden
* Order also effectively bans TikTok in the US unless a sale is completed
* Microsoft is said to be considering acquiring TikTok’s global operations
* Separate executive order bans Chinese-owned messaging app WeChat
* Trump’s orders are the latest escalation in growing US-China tensions on tech
* Fears mount of ‘Silicon Curtain’ descending between the two countries
* Experts say Beijing could bar Apple or Microsoft from China as retribution
President Donald Trump has issued executive orders effectively banning Chinese video sharing app TikTok and messaging service WeChat in a dramatic escalation of tensions with Beijing that sent stocks tumbling worldwide overnight.
Using national emergency powers, Trump on Thursday night signed the orders, which give TikTok parent ByteDance 45 days to sell the app, and bar WeChat from the U.S. after the same time period.
The orders also banned any U.S. transactions with WeChat owner Tencent, a major Chinese company that owns significant shares in Tesla, Snap Inc, and Reddit. Tencent shares fell as much as 10 percent in Asian markets overnight, and it was not immediately clear whether the company would be forced to divest its U.S. holdings.
Read more ….
WNU Editor: It looks like the US has just realized that China is waging cyber warfare against them. TikTok has responded …. TikTok threatens legal action against Trump’s executive order, saying it sets a ‘dangerous precedent’ (CNBC).
Trump issues executive orders banning U.S. transactions with WeChat and TikTok in 45 days — CNBC
Trump Signs Executive Order That Will Effectively Ban Use Of TikTok In the U.S. — NPR
Trump issues orders banning TikTok and WeChat from operating in 45 days if they are not sold by Chinese parent companies — CNN
Trump Signs Executive Order Banning TikTok, WeChat In 45 Days — Zero Hedge
China fumes over United States ban on use of TikTok, WeChat — DW
What is WeChat and why does Trump want to ban it? — Shannon Liao, CNN Business