* President Donald Trump presided over the signing of historic diplomatic deals between Israel, United Arab Emirates and Bahrain
* ‘After decades of division and conflict we mark up the dawn of a new Middle East,’ Trump said at the ceremony
* The president said more Gulf nations were preparing to sign similar deals to the one being inked on the South Lawn
* He gave Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu a golden key to White House
* UAE Foreign Minister Abdullah bin Zayed Al-Nahyan and Bahrain Foreign Minister Abdullatif al-Zayani also signed the agreement
* More than 200 people crowded on South Lawn of White House with no social distancing and few people wearing masks
* Trump was nominated for Nobel Peace Prize for deal
* Trump and his allies hope the signing ceremony will burnish the president’s credentials as a peacemaker at the height of his reelection campaign
President Donald Trump on Tuesday hailed the ‘dawn of a new Middle East’ when he presided over the signing of historic diplomatic deals between Israel, the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain in a deal designed to boost his reputation as a statesman.
‘We’re here this afternoon to change the course of history. After decades of division and conflict we mark up the dawn of a new Middle East. Thanks to the great courage of the leaders of these three countries. We take a major stride toward a future in which people of all faiths and backgrounds live together in peace and prosperity,’ Trump said in his remarks.
The president said more nations will follow suit in signing the accord that normalizes relations between the Jewish state and the Arab nations.
‘These agreements prove that the nations of the region are breaking free from the failed approaches of the past. Today signing sets history on a new course. And there will be other countries very very soon, that will follow these great leaders,’ the president said.
Trump emphasized the historic nature of the agreement.
Read more ….
Trump hails ‘dawn of new Middle East’ with UAE-Bahrain-Israel deals — BBC
Trump: Israeli pacts with 2 Arab states signal ‘new’ Mideast — AP
UAE and Bahrain sign US-brokered deals with Israel — France 24
In break with past, UAE and Bahrain sign U.S.-brokered deals with Israel — Reuters
UAE, Bahrain and Israel sign historic accords at White House event — The Guardian
UAE and Bahrain sign normalization deal with Israel at White House — DW
Israel, UAE and Bahrain sign US-brokered normalisation deals — Al Jazeera