* President Donald Trump said that he did have Syrian dictator Bashar al-Assad lined up for assassination, which was reported by Bob Woodward in 2018
* ‘I would have rather taken him out. I had him all set. Mattis didn’t want to do it,’ Trump said Tuesday on Fox & Friends, referring to the former DOD chief
* He was referring to the aftermath of a chemical weapons strike by Assad’s forces on a Syrian town in April 2017
* Trump revealed he wanted Assad killed but Jim Mattis argued against it and ‘I let him go.’ Instead there were the first airstrikes on Syria by the U.S. that month
* Trump also called former defense secretary Mattis a ‘highly overrated general,’ in the phone interview with Fox
* Mattis talked to Woodward for his new book ‘Rage,’ and called Trump ‘dangerous,’ ‘unfit’ and with ‘no moral compass’
* Trump said he fired Mattis, while Mattis said he quit after Trump asked him to pull out of Syria which ‘went beyond stupid to felony stupid,’ Mattis said
President Donald Trump said Tuesday that he had Syrian dictator Bashar al-Assad lined up for assassination but was talked out of it by his former Defense Secretary Jim Mattis.
Trump made the admission when he called into ‘Fox & Friends,’ confirming reporting from Bob Woodward’s first book on his administration, ‘Fear,’ which was released two years ago, that Trump wanted to take out Assad after he used chemical weapons on his people in April 2017. Trump had denied the claim previously.
‘I would have rather taken him out. I had him all set. Mattis didn’t want to do it. Mattis was a highly overrated general. And I let him go,’ Trump Tuesday.
According to Woodward’s 2018 book ‘Fear,’ the commander-in-chief called Mattis to give the order and said: ‘Let’s f***ing kill him! Let’s go in. Let’s kill the f***ing lot of them.’
Mattis agreed to the order to the president’s face and then had aides prepare a plan to strike Assad’s resources in a ‘much more measured’ way, Woodward wrote. That was what happened, with airstrikes by cruise missile against limited targets.
Read more ….
Trump says he wanted to kill Assad, but Mattis opposed — AFP
Trump claims he was ‘all set’ to assassinate Syrian leader Assad but was blocked by Mattis — Bloomberg
‘I had shot to take out Assad’: Trump claims he was close to killing Syrian leader but Mattis stopped him — The Independent
Trump says he wanted to kill Syrian President Bashar Assad but Mattis stopped him before he could ‘take him out’ — Business Insider
Trump says he wanted to take out Syria’s Assad but Mattis opposed it — The Hill
Trump Claims He Wanted To Assassinate Syrian President Assad, But Mattis Opposed It — Forbes
Trump Reveals Why He Did Not Use Chance to ‘Take Out’ Syria’s Assad — Sputnik
Trump says he wanted to ASSASSINATE Assad, blames ex-defense chief Mattis for staying his hand — RT