Daily Mail: ‘His philosophy is mine too’: Judge Amy Coney Barrett says she will ‘apply the law as written’ like her mentor Justice Scalia as she formally accepts Trump’s SCOTUS nomination in front of her family at the White House
* President Donald Trump officially nominated Judge Amy Coney Barrett to serve on the United States Supreme Court
* President Trump made the announcement in the White House Rose Garden on Saturday afternoon
* Barrett has been a judge since 2017, when Trump nominated her to the Chicago-based 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals
* A longtime University of Notre Dame law professor, she had already established herself as a reliable conservative in the mold of Antonin Scalia, for whom she clerked in the late 1990s
* Conservatives heralded the pick of Barrett as heir-apparent of Justice Antonin Scalia who died in Feb 2016
* Barrett clerked for conservative Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia in 1998 and 1999
* Like Scalia, Barrett considers herself an ‘originalist’ and interprets the Constitution as she believes the authors had intended it during their own lives
* Barrett was accompanied by her husband Jesse and her seven kids
* The president has the votes in the Senate to push his Supreme Court pick through, but the move is controversial because of the closeness of the 2020 election
President Donald Trump nominated Judge Amy Coney Barrett to the Supreme Court on Saturday, capping a dramatic reshaping of the federal judiciary that will resonate for a generation and that he hopes will provide a needed boost to his reelection effort.
Barrett, a judge on the Chicago-based 7th US Circuit Court of Appeals and a devout Roman Catholic, has been hailed by religious conservatives and others on the right as an ideological heir to conservative stalwart Antonin Scalia, the late Supreme Court justice for whom she clerked.
Barrett said she was ‘truly humbled’ by the nomination and quickly aligned herself with Scalia’s conservative approach to the law, saying his ‘judicial philosophy is mine, too.’
Read more ….
WNU Editor: She says that she will base her rulings on what the framers of the US constitution wanted. We shall see.
Barrett accepts nomination, says judges must be ‘resolute’ in setting aside personal beliefs — The Hill
Amy Coney Barrett thanks her husband and calls their seven children her ‘greatest joy’ as she prepares to become the first mom with school-age kids to serve on the Supreme Court if confirmed — Daily Mail
Trump taps Barrett, launching brawl over Supreme Court’s future — Politico
Trump tells ‘Fox & Friends’ he wanted to choose a textualist for Supreme Court — FOX News
Trump caps judiciary remake with choice of Barrett for court — AP
Senate GOP set to vote on Trump’s Supreme Court pick before election — The Hill
Republicans push Amy Coney Barrett confirmation hearings starting Oct. 12 as Democrats criticize timing — ABC News
Biden says Senate should not act on Amy Coney Barrett Supreme Court nomination until after election — FOX News
Supreme Court fight pushes Senate toward brink — The Hill
Dems slam Barrett nomination over health care, ‘illegitimate process’ after Trump nomination — FOX News
Senate Dems ready tactics to muck up Supreme Court confirmation — Politico
Democrat Senators Hirono, Blumenthal say they won’t meet with Amy Coney Barrett — FOX News
What you need to know about Amy Coney Barrett — Politico
How it happened: From law professor to high court in 4 years — AP
From law professor to a Supreme Court nomination in just FOUR YEARS: Amy Coney Barrett’s, 48, meteoric rise — Daily Mail