The number of new cases surged to a record high of 193,000 yesterday and more than 82,000 patients are now hospitalized across the country
Daily deaths surged to 2,015 yesterday – the highest number of fatalities per day since back in May during the initial peak of the virus
Daily Mail: The great COVID getaway: Millions of Americans carry on with their holiday plans ahead of Thanksgiving despite CDC advice to stay home as daily virus cases hit a record 193k and hospitalizations reach 82k
* Millions of Americans are carrying on with travel plans this weekend amid calls for everyone to avoid traveling during the Thanksgiving holiday period
* Crowds were seen lining up at airports across the country including in Arizona, Chicago and New Jersey
* It comes as the number of new cases surged to a record high of more than 193,000 Friday and over 82,000 patients are now hospitalized across the country
* Daily deaths also surged to 2,015 yesterday – the highest number of fatalities per day since back in May during the initial peak of the virus
* A map, which was created by US government health officials, shows the number of COVID-19 infections per capita on a county level for last week
* The entire country is blanketed in red, which indicates that at least some counties in every state are reporting more than 200 cases per 100,000 residents
Millions of Americans are carrying on with their travel plans ahead of Thanksgiving weekend despite the CDC’s urgent warnings to stay home as the number of daily cases and hospitalizations in the country continue to hit record highs.
More than 193,000 new infections were recorded in the US on Friday – breaking the previous record for the largest single-day spike on Thursday – and over 82,000 patients are now hospitalized across the country.
Daily deaths also skyrocketed to 2,015, the highest number of fatalities per day since May during the initial peak of the virus, according to health data from Johns Hopkins University.
Read more ….
Update #1: U.S. hits 12 million COVID-19 cases as many Americans defy Thanksgiving travel guidance (Reuters)
Update #2: In photos: Americans line up for coronavirus testing ahead of Thanksgiving (Axios)
WNU Editor: This is how Americans celebrated Thanksgiving during the Spanish influenza …. We’re celebrating Thanksgiving amid a pandemic. Here’s how we did it in 1918 — and what happened next (USA Today). More here …. Thanksgiving 1918 took place during a deadly pandemic. What can it teach us for Thanksgiving 2020? (Philadelphia Inquirer)