The rocket strike is the latest attack on US forces in Iraq by Iran-backed militias, though nobody has claimed responsibility. Ain al-Asad has also been attacked by ISIS in the past
Daily Mail: America won’t ‘shy away’ from responding to attack on US base in Iraq, Pentagon warns as officials say rocket strike ‘fits the profile’ of an Iran-backed militia
* A Pentagon spokesman said the US has shown it won’t ‘shy away’ from responding to attacks against its personnel when necessary
* John Kirby was speaking after an attack on the Ain al-Asad airbase in Iraq on Wednesday, during which one US civilian contractor died from a heart attack
* No group has yet claimed responsibility for the attack but Kirby said ‘Shia-backed militia groups’ have been behind past rocket attacks in the area
* It is the latest in a series of attacks on US forces in Iraq, and comes after Joe Biden launched his administration’s first strike on Iran-backed militants in Syria
* The attack came just days before Pope Francis is due to visit Iraq
The United States has shown that it won’t ‘shy away’ from responding to attacks against its personnel when necessary, the Pentagon said on Wednesday after a rocket attack against Iraq’s Ain al-Asad air base, which hosts US coalition and Iraqi forces.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attack, during which a US national who was working as a civilian contractor died after suffering a heart attack while taking shelter. No other casualties were reported.
The Pentagon said the attack fit the profile of previous assaults by ‘Shia-backed militias’ in the area but that it was too early to attribute responsibility.
Read more ….
Military And Intelligence News Briefs — March 5, 2021
Biden called off strike on a second military target in Syria last week when F-15s were just 30 minutes from the target after woman and children were spotted in courtyard — Daily Mail
Biden orders temporary limits on drone strikes outside war zones — Washington Post
AFRICOM needs White House approval for airstrikes, report says — Stars and Stripes
Biden wants new war powers vote in Congress for authorizing America’s foreign wars, Psaki says — FOX News
US Navy researching hypersonic anti-ship missile ‘Screaming Arrow’ for F/A-18E/F Super Hornet — Flight Global
Navy says Johnson & Johnson’s one-dose coronavirus vaccine is coming to bases in Japan — Stars and Stripes
As Biden bans export of defense articles to Russia, ‘bewildered’ Moscow reveals it hasn’t received US weapons since WWII — RT
China boosts defense budget again, exceeding $208 billion — Defense News
Documents reveal inside story of Australia’s defence cooperation with Myanmar junta — ABC News (Australia)