A social media account run by the official law enforcement agency of the Chinese Communist Party posted a message on Weibo, which is China’s version of Twitter, on Saturday that mocked India’s catastrophic COVID-19 outbreak. ‘Lighting a fire in China VS lighting a fire in India,’ the post read. The image on the left shows a Chinese rocket being launched into space. The image on the right shows Indians cremating the bodies of those who died of COVID-19. In response to outrage from Chinese internet users, the post was deleted
* Chinese Communist Party-linked account wrote controversial post on Weibo
* Post included juxtaposed photos of China’s rocket launch and Indian cremations
* ‘Lighting a fire in China VS lighting a fire in India,’ the post’s caption read
* Chinese internet users reacted with anger to the post, calling it ‘inappropriate’
* The post was deleted in response to the intense backlash it generated
* China on Thursday launched main module of permanent space station into orbit
* Meanwhile, India reported 392,488 new COVID-19 infections and 3,689 deaths
A social media account operated by the Chinese Communist Party mocked the humanitarian catastrophe brought on by the surge in the number of COVID-19 cases gripping its neighbor and rival, India.
The account, which is run by the official Chinese law enforcement agency, the Communist Party’s Central Political and Legal Affairs commission, posted the controversial message on Weibo, which is China’s version of Twitter.
The post included two images juxtaposed with one another. One photo shows an image of a rocket launch in China while the other shows dead bodies being cremated in India.
‘Lighting a fire in China VS lighting a fire in India,’ the post read.
Read more ….
WNU Editor: Over the years I have lost count on how many times my Chinese friends and contacts asked me this question …. why do people outside of China “hate” their country. I always say it is not the people that this animosity is directed at. It is at the Chinese government and its policies.
But this official government tweet is not going to help the discussion, and it illustrates (sadly) why this anti-Chinese animosity is so pervasive in Asia.
On a brighter note. They at least deleted this Weibo post.
More News On An Official Chinese Communist Party Social Media Account Mocking India’s Covid-19 Crisis