President Biden met Belarusian opposition leader Svetlana Tikhanovskaya on Wednesday morning. Officials claimed he dropped by her meeting with National Security Adviser Jake Sullivan but experts said that was a subterfuge to allow ‘plausible deniability’
* Svetlana Tikhanovskaya was visiting the White House for the second time when she met Biden on Wednesday morning
* She is touring the U.S. to build support for her campaign against Alexander Lukashenko
* The West has imposed sanction as he cracks down on protests sparked by last year’s disputed elections
* The meeting was not advertised by the White House in advance
* Officials said Biden dropped in while Tikhanovskaya was with National Security Adviser Jake Sullivan
* But the tactic is often used when the White House is worried about enflaming regional tensions
President Joe Biden met with exiled Belarusian opposition leader Svetlana Tikhanovskaya Wednesday morning, as she tours the U.S. as part of a campaign to ratchet up international pressure on the authoritarian Lukashenko regime.
Their encounter was not advertised in advance as officials tried to balance supporting a democracy campaigner without riling President Putin of Russia.
‘I was honored to meet with @Tsihanouskaya at the White House this morning. The United States stands with the people of Belarus in their quest for democracy and universal human rights,’ Biden tweeted, with a photo of the two in conversation.
Read more ….
WNU Editor: For a meeting that was done in secret there is a lot of news on what happened in the press today.
More News On President Biden Meeting With Belarusian Opposition Leader Svetlana Tikhanovskaya At The White House
Biden holds undisclosed White House meeting with leader of Belarusian opposition party — Washington Examiner