Sen. Bob Menendez: “I’m very disappointed that Secretary Austin declined our request to testify today… I expect the secretary will avail himself to the committee in the near future. And if he does not, I may consider the use of committee subpoena power to compel him.” pic.twitter.com/6T5DXIYRqD
— The Hill (@thehill) September 14, 2021
Daily Mail: Top Democrat threatens to subpoena Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin after he refused to appear at Senate hearing on Afghanistan withdrawal: Blinken tells committee most of the $80bn of equipment left with Taliban is ‘inoperable’ and poses no threat to the US
* The secretary of state faces a grilling from the Democrat-led Senate Foreign Relations Committee on Tuesday after appearing before the House
* One GOP lawmaker called Blinken out for appearing via video on Monday
* At Tuesday’s hearing committee chair Sen. Bob Menendez expressed disappointment that Pentagon chief Lloyd Austin did not appear with Blinken
* Menendez threatened to subpoena Austin ‘and others’ if he didn’t come in
* During a particularly tense moment Texas Senator Ted Cruz scolded Blinken over the botched Afghanistan withdrawal, telling him: ‘You own this’
* Utah Senator Mitt Romney questioned Blinken on the Taliban’s links to al Qaeda
Secretary of State Antony Blinken appeared before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee on Tuesday to answer for President Joe Biden’s chaotic Afghanistan withdrawal.
But notably absent was Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin, who was also invited to appear.
In his opening remarks on Monday, committee chair Sen. Bob Menendez said he was ‘very disappointed’ Austin declined to testify Tuesday.
Read more ….
WNU Editor: My gut tells me that the US Defense Secretary does not have the answers that the US Senate will be demanding. Hence the avoidance of today’s public hearing.
More News On US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin Refusing To Appear At US Senate Hearing On Afghanistan Withdrawal
Lawmakers threaten to subpoena SECDEF over Afghanistan mistakes — Military Times